Is laser declawing more humane than the traditional method?
Please know that I am definitely what people refer to as a "cat person" and have not owned a declawed cat within my life. My parents had them and they were indoor-outdoor pets, and mine is an indoor cat.
We've moved into a foreign home and NO, my concern is NOT that my cat is destroying $1000 furniture (we don't have $1000 furniture anyway) or that he's damaging things near his claws.
He's damaging himself and that is the problem. This cat has serious pica issues (eating inedible things). He have had numerous vet visits, including a Christmas where on earth he ingested so much curling ribbon that it was lodged in his intestines and had to be surgically removed (~$800). We cannot preserve flowers, or small ribbon-like material ANYwhere in the house.
Our new house's stairs are carpeted, and he have taken to clawing the corners of them. He is pulling up carpet thread (clear, nylon thread) and (surprise, surprise) eating it. He is then vomiting where he is when it comes back up. We cannot afford another intestinal surgery.
We've bought new scratching posts and different kind of anti-scratch spray and nothing is working. We've tried foil before. I'm not sure we own a choice.
Laser is better, but its still cruel. If the cat isn't eating the mat, he will be eating something else not edible.
Did you try contact paper? he might not resembling it on his feet, and if you put that where you don't want him to claw it might work.
I would try claw covers past you resort to something drastic like surgery. Give it a chance to be sure that the cat is in fact going to stop eating the carpet with the covers, he might lately use his teeth.
Try putting something that taste gross on the carpet. Ask your vet for suggestions, you don't want to put anything that will make the cat sick.
Even if you do choose to declaw, hang on to in mind that your cat will still manage to devour stuff (threads) with or without claws. So declawing will not help at adjectives.
And declawing may make him even more paranoid and have a worse personality or other problems associated next to declawing.
While laser may be "better" then the traditional way - the results are still the same - litter box avoidance, biting more, hiding, etc.
Read this on declawing first. I would NOT declaw even beneath your circumstances - its wont' really change anything.
Laser declawing is slightly more humane and smaller quantity likely to cause nerve devastate. So if you have the option, you should stir with that. Also remember that just because he is declawed doesn't mean he still can't win into mischeif.
Have you tried double sided tape for the things he insists on scratching? Try that on the carpet, it works when many other things do not.
Pica is a behavior issue. You might want to discuss this with a vet who's also a behaviorist - a real one, next to the credentials to prove it. Many vets have taken a course in animal behavior, and are endorsement themselves off as the real thing, which they are not.
Declawing is a poor approach to solve a pica issue, and may lead to worse issues. Declawed cats can develop litter box aversion (their feet can become extremely sensitive), biting and other aggression issues, and severe behavioral changes. While arthritis contained by an older cat is rare, it's more frequently seen contained by cats that have been declawed. And the older a cats is when they are declawed (by any method) the more predictable they are to develop the unwanted side effects. Shelters are FULL of cats who're de-toed, and have developed these unpleasant side effects.
there is an option: acrylic pin covers! its like gloves for your cat! he wont be able to scratch, but still can enjoy them!